Wednesday 19 October 2011

Flavour of Diwali....A letter from Singapore...:)

 While  I am busy writing this emotional post
living in a faraway land,
back home in India
the picture must be something like this:


All the small  clay lamps are lit up by now;
the yellow of the Marigold, 
the red of  the 'Kum-kum',
the pink of the Lotus,
the garlands, sequins 
'puja thalis' and 'rangolis',
are all painting beautifully
the dazzling images of Diwali, The Festival of Lights.



















The word 'Diwali'  originates from the Sanskrit word 'Deepavali'
which means 'Rows of Lights' !
 The auspicious 'Ammavaasa'
in the month of 'Kartik',
the glittering 'diyas' and lanterns,
and the beautiful fireworks and sound of crackers
announces the arrival of the most vibrant festival of my country.

   


While my humble nest is slowly getting the makeover 
for 'The Festival of Joy and Happiness'
the lady of the house
is now deeply missing
the magical flavour of her motherland.

When the whole world is soaking in
the warm autumn colours...
happy yellow, bright orange 
burnt red and gold...
then comes 'Diwali',
our very own 'Autumn Festival'!


Diwali celebrates the return of Lord Rama
after his 14 years of exile...
this is The Festival of Home Coming
Yes, happy home coming.



Yes, for me Diwali means India.
To be precise, it is Delhi,
the gorgeous capital city 
which is ever enthusiastic
in celebrating life.







Beautiful autumn in Northern India,
 fragrant, crisp air,
people dressed in vibrant colours,
a festive mood everywhere,
'pujas' in temples,
flowers and garlands,
Marigold and Lotus,
'Haldi' and 'Kum-kum',
long queues in front of 'mithai' (sweet) shops,
fairs and exhibitions in every nook and corner,
and dazzling fireworks in display ;
Yes, I can keep going on and on...

To add, special offerings made to Goddess 'Lakshmi',
The Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity.
  
This is the festival
to drive away the shadows of evil,
to enlighten the inner soul,
to express the warm Indian hospitality.










 This is another gorgeous 'Diwali'
in this little tropical island.
I am off to prepare some sweets for family and friends
(what is Diwali without homemade sweets)..
Please do not forget to share your thoughts on
what is your plan for this Diwali.


This is a pre-Diwali design post. For more inspirations, stay tuned.

Wish You All A Very Happy Diwali 
and Dhanteras !!!




All pictures are photographed by me. Please, do not reuse them in any form without my written permission. Thanks.



linking:
betweennapsontheporch

50 comments:

GB said...

Beautiful post, Sanghamitra! Still sometime to go for diwali, just busy cleaning right now! :)

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

:) Thanks Gagan! Long time...hope you are fine!:)

Tina´s PicStory said...

wonderful pics and colors. last week i also posted my little elefants :)

Jeanne said...

Lovely color everywhere! Jeanne from http://thebutterflymetamorphosis.blogspot.com

Leovi said...

Wonderful compositions of beautiful colors, I like them all.

Reshma at colorcanopy.blogspot.com said...

That's a beautiful home you have out there! And love all the elephants you have!

Custom Comforts said...

What pretty, vibrant colors in all your pictures! Everything is so pretty.
Cindy

Unknown said...

What vibrant colours! what an amazing post - hope you have a Very Happy Diwali and Dhanteras!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Wishing you a happy Diwali and Dhanteras. Very colorful and informative post!

Isaw Iheard Isaid said...

Hi, I'm a new blogger and I recently found your blog. Just loving it. Very authentic and colorful. About this post..loved the metal trays/ plates hanging on wall!!
Please do visit my blog..keep sharing:-))
s @ isawiheardisaid.blogspot.com

Jewel Sauls said...

Gorgeous colors and I am a big fan of elephants! I enjoyed learning about Diwali

Alycia Nichols said...

You are really missing home, aren't you? I'm so sorry. I can see through the beautiful photos you have posted, though, that the colors and spirit of your homeland are buried deep within your heart where no one can ever take them. Gorgeous photos, Sanghamitra!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Your vibrant colors make your post such a delight for our eyes. So pretty.

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your photos are Gorgeous all the colors. You are so good taking photos. I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape.
I hope you have a great week.
XXOO Diane

xinex said...

How beautiful! Your photos are fantastic. The colors are just marvelous...Christine

Saun said...

Beautiful shots

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, this blog is just breathtaking. The colors are so rich and beautiful, and I loved hearing about your season in India. I've never been there (afraid to fly!) But is must be just wonderful.

Entertaining Women said...

The intense, spectacular scenes of holidays in India are always amazing. Thank you for inviting us to the festival. Cherry Kay

Marigene said...

I always know when visiting here I will get my fix for the day of bright colors...thanks!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

So very beautiful! Great photography! Thanks for taking us along to the festival!

Katherine

Emreen said...

Beautiful decor and awesome photographs... !!!

Would love to see you at the blog party at my blog : http://liventhingsup.blogspot.com/2011/10/itz-festival-time-2011.html

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Thanks lovelies!
Thanks Emreen for your sweet invitation :)

Wish you all a very happy and safe Diwali!

Jacqueline said...

Hard to be away from home when holidays are in sight! Such beautiful colors and images as always.

Neelima said...

Amazing photographs..... and i am following your blog :)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you are missing the festival in autumn in your country. But I am sure you will do it justice where you are now. I am so happy you visited my Vintage Nest and hope you will return often. Best Wishes ~ Lynn

Shaz Originals said...

Hi Sanghamitra.... this is such a beautiful post.. and an emotional one too... you reminded me of Delhi..and got close to being in tears... how I miss...home sweet home.!! :)..

Happy diwali..!!!

Elaine said...

Your tribute to the autumn festival of your native country is very touching. Your photos and narrative are just beautiful!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Visited your blog after reading your comment on lines from linderhof. What beautiful colors, indeed! Have you seen the movie outsourced? There is a scene which might be Diwali......I'm a quilter who loves color and textile art and I love Indian fabrics!

Barb said...

Such beautiful photographs. Your colors are just fabulous!!

Barb ♥

A Perfect Setting said...

I'm sure your heart will be at the festival, your post is just beautiful and full of emotion! The colors and photography are exquisite!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I am a fan of your photography Shangamitra, but I also love everything Indian and you sure have the best, all those embroideries and colors, so lovely. Thank you for your sweet and lovely visit, I do appreciate it very much. Have a terrific weekend. FABBY

Bunny Jean said...

LOVE all the beautiful colors!
I enjoyed read about your festival. Enjoy!

xoxo bunny Jean
Wednesday's Bunny hop Party!

we three dogs and me said...

Your pictures are almost overwelming.Just beautiful. Love to read your post to learn more about life there.

Chubby Chieque said...

Wow! tnx a mill for educating of your culture, girl? My daughter love history and she was so thankful to learn a lil from you very educational post.

More next ish? TY too for coming to D´Box. I really appreciate it. Hope to see you more often and vice versa.

ENjoy your w/end.

Hugs,
/chie

Kristens Creations said...

Great photos! Thanks for your nice comments! Thanks for joining the party! Kristen

Tess said...

Such gorgeous colors!! Sorry you are homesick!! :-( Hope your special holidays are wonderful!

Sandra said...

Thanks so much for visiting my little blog today. Love your pictures, they are just beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend, Sandra

yyam said...

Wow! Love the beautiful pictures you shared! Love the rich colours that is part of your culture!

Unknown said...

Love your photos and the colors are beautiful! Joann

Anonymous said...

What a pretty blog you have shanghamitra! Shubho bijoya and ya, happy Diwali too although Im not too crazy about it. :)

abeachcottage said...

It is always lovely to visit your blog. Thanks for linking up ate Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Jennifer said...

Happy Diwali, Sanghamitra! I'm so sorry that you are homesick, but it seems as though you have created a tribute to your homeland for all of us to enjoy. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind remarks.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Oh my, those colors! It is as if they transport you to a world of energy and LIFE, so much life in them. I love it.
I'm so glad you stopped by for Tablescape Thursday and I look forward to visiting.
Much love!

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

Colorfully inspiring and gorgeous photos! Thanks for joining us in the Shades of Autumn Photo Challenge. I'm so excited about next week's theme: RED! Have a great weekend. :)

Gina Kleinworth said...

I love elephants!!! Those are sooooo cool!

Alycia Nichols said...

Gorgeous, Sanghamitra! Your blog name is SO appropos!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your home.. always looks soooooooooooooooo beautiful…

Hope you and all at home.. have an amazing Diwali.. filled with sparkles, love, laughter..

Emreen said...

Thanks for linking to the party !!

Unknown said...

You have a beautiful blog! I love the flowers, especially since it is so gray and rainy here in Oregon this time of year. Thanks for stopping by my blog!! Hope to see you again...
Sherry @ ponderedprimedperfected.blogspot.com

Lavanya said...

CAN I USE 4 OR 5 OF UR COLOURFUL PHOTOS ON A FORUM????

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails